Machine Learning Lead (Principal Level) - London, Manchester or Edinburgh with hybrid working - J12220
As the UK's broadcast regulator, Ofcom upholds standards on TV and radio. And it makes sure communications companies stick to the rules and treat their customers fairly. To support its work, it carries out world-class research in exciting areas such as technology and consumer behaviour.
Ofcom has recently been appointed as the regulator for the Online Safety regime. These new duties in telecoms security build on Ofcom's existing powers for video-sharing platforms (VSP) and constitute the most significant expansion of its remit since it was formed in 2003. As such, it is building a new Machine Learning team to support its expansion. If you have significant expertise in this field and want to work on ground-breaking, cutting edge projects using the latest technology at this crucial time for Ofcom, then we would like to hear from you.
You will play a leading role in designing and delivering a programme of work that will develop and share fundamental understanding of the algorithms that underpin online services to help meet Ofcom's Online Safety objectives. This is a senior role in the Data and Innovation Hub, leading a team of engineers and setting strategic direction. You will mix an in-depth knowledge of Machine Learning and Deep Learning techniques used in content moderation and/or recommender systems with an ability to communicate this knowledge to various teams at Ofcom. This will inform work throughout the Online Safety programme including transparency reports and platform monitoring.
Knowledge and Experience:
• Demonstrable experience in managing a team, including setting strategic direction: experience of leading a team and managing the performance and development of team members.
• Expertise in one or more of these areas:
onatural language understanding
omulti-modal (speech, image, text) classification
ocontent moderation systems
oML and DL auditing techniques
• Knowledge of Python, Scikit learn, Tensorflow or Pytorch
• Strong project management abilities, including excellent organisational skills to manage and prioritise a range of work, projects, and ad hoc requests.
• Acting as a thought leader within the Machine Learning and Deep Learning community, including through management and development of junior staff and others' projects.
• Exploring and advocating ways of utilising new ML and DL tools and techniques to tackle business and organisational challenges, drawing on the application of, and innovation in online platforms, academia, and other sectors.
• Experience in stakeholder management, with demonstrable ability to build and maintain working relationships with a broad range of people, including industry stakeholders and colleagues across Ofcom.
• Establishing a strong team spirit, demonstrating flexibility and adaptability, and supporting a culture of collaboration and trust
If this sounds like the role for you then please send your CV to Matthew Baylis to arrange an informal discussion: Ofcom@datatech.org.uk.
Datatech is one of the UK's leading recruitment agencies in the field of analytics and host of the critically acclaimed event, Women in Data. For more information, visit our website: www.datatech.org.uk